Re: Unthinkable in Literature

On Mon, 14 May 2001 AGEP@xxxxxxx wrote:

[snip!]
> The novel by Herve Guibert, "A l'ami qui ne m'a pas sauve la vie" (To the
> friend who didn't save my life) is not a book I had heard of. I do no think I
> would want to read a book implying Foucaul was (or is) a quasi-religious
> icon. Even
> if the author refers to non published or little known details about MF when
> he was alive (for Karmic balance maybe{?}). I am sure I do not want to read
> yet another attack or veneration of Foucault as I have read plenty of both.

it has been a while since i last read "To the Friend Who Did Not Save My
Life" but as i recall it was more about the experience of AIDS in france.
there was some mention of a person who was supposedly foucault, but by and
large it wrote about the subjective state of uncertainty, hope, and terror
about the dis-ease that was likely endemic in the late 70s and early 80s.
not much veneration or attack as i recall.

pmk