Re: Unthinkable in Literature

--part1_73.db8a4a2.2834e75f_boundary

Hi Bob
The book in question was suggested to me by a fellow subscriber on 11th May
2001.
read (and formulated some of my ideas via) To The Friend Who Did Not Save My
Life by Herve Guibert. I have not read it and had not heard of it (by name
anyway) until I read the following:
(I quote from the e-mail reply)
"Not that it's necessarily contradicts what you suggest, but I'm wondering if
you're familiar with the novel by Herve Guibert, "A l'ami qui ne m'a pas
sauve la vie" (To the friend who didn't save my life) which is in large part
a hagiography of Foucault, implying him as a quasi-religious icon, even
while (or precisely because) Guibert reveals aspects of Foucault's life that
he tried to hide from the public while he was living -- that he had AIDS,
that he frequented S&M clubs, etc. (to some extent, even the fact that he
was gay). In my reading this attack/veneration of Foucault does exactly
what you suggest --
It's sort of interesting, in any case."

So when I mentioned Blanchot I was asking/wondering how my correspondent
would have imagined that Foucault would write about his own gayness.
The correspondence began (11.5.01) when someone asked the question about "the
unthinkable in literature". The question asked who are contemporary writers
that are representative of this language. I selfishly turned the question
into referring to the thre uses of history set out in NGH. The response
already quoted above provoked a flurry of interest in the novel. You can
check other correspondants replies to "The Unthinkable In Literature" if you
would like to trace the book. Or get it from Amazon!
Ed

--part1_73.db8a4a2.2834e75f_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>Hi Bob
<BR>The book in question was suggested to me by a fellow subscriber on 11th May
<BR>2001.
<BR>In response to a previous posting by me (also 5.11.01) I was asked if I had
<BR>read (and formulated some of my ideas via) To The Friend Who Did Not Save My
<BR>Life by Herve Guibert. I have not read it and had not heard of it (by name
<BR>anyway) until I read the following:
<BR>(I quote from the e-mail reply)
<BR><P ALIGN=RIGHT>"Not that it's necessarily contradicts what you suggest, but I'm wondering if
<BR>you're familiar with the novel by Herve Guibert, "A l'ami qui ne m'a pas
<BR>sauve la vie" (To the friend who didn't save my life) which is in large part
<BR>a hagiography of Foucault, implying him as a quasi-religious icon, even
<BR>while (or precisely because) Guibert reveals aspects of Foucault's life that
<BR>he tried to hide from the public while he was living -- that he had AIDS,
<BR>that he frequented S&amp;M clubs, etc. (to some extent, even the fact that he
<BR>was gay). &nbsp;In my reading this attack/veneration of Foucault does exactly
<BR>what you suggest --
<BR>It's sort of interesting, in any case."
<BR><P ALIGN=LEFT>
<BR>So when I mentioned Blanchot I was asking/wondering how my correspondent
<BR>would have imagined that Foucault would write about his own gayness.
<BR>The correspondence began (11.5.01) when someone asked the question about "the
<BR>unthinkable in literature". The question asked who are contemporary writers
<BR>that are representative of this language. I selfishly turned the question
<BR>into referring to the thre uses of history set out in <I>NGH. </I>The response
<BR>already quoted above provoked a flurry of interest in the novel. You can
<BR>check other correspondants replies to "The Unthinkable In Literature" if you
<BR>would like to trace the book. Or get it from Amazon!
<BR>Ed
<BR></P></P></FONT></HTML>

--part1_73.db8a4a2.2834e75f_boundary--