Re: more on rorty

Nate and Nathan,

I am jumping in here...

I hope you don't mind, if you do, send me that Snow White email.

Have you guys read Badiou's new book _Ethics_? I have discussed it with
others but they are nasty pragmatists, and Badiou is definitely not their
cup of tea. His anti-pragmatic stance I don't think is sustainable in
everyday life, but I do like how he attacks 'victimhood', and it is similar
to some of my own theories (hmm which I would call self-subjectification),
and how he attacks the Other (which is almost the same thing as attacking
victimhood, almost).

I think it would have relevance when discussing Liberalism, and especially
Rorty.

Glen.

> However, in _On
> Revolution_, Arendt draws a relevant distinction between the realm of
> activities that accompanies bodily needs and intimate relations, and
> public-sphere speech acts. She even goes so far as to suggest that the
> repression (or at least the resolution) private-sphere concerns is the
> necessary precondition for action in the public sphere. Arendt associates
> public-sphere activities with individuating identity-formation, which
> reaches to the very heart of the question: what does Foucault's sex life
> have to do with his work? Rorty does the very opposite: he associates the
> private with self-creation and individuation while he, as you suggest,
> simply subjects the public to an expectation of uniform liberalism.
Anyway,