Nationalism, Imperialism and Capitalism

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C113B7.E167BE60

Ali:

Thanks for the further clarifications of your interpretation of =
nationalism. We have the happy result of finding convergence on most of =
the key issues raised in the thread. You raise additional issues and =
connections that seem to mark sharper disagreements.

I will not pursue these differences to any depth since I doubt that they =
have much bearing on how either of us would use Foucault -- although =
there may be methodological issues I am missing. A few provocations may =
be in order, however.

1) You may use the conception of "imperialism" as narrowly as you like, =
but your narrowing leaves me uneasy. When I use the notion of an =
"empire," I want to include among my cases the ancient empires of the =
Athenians, Romans and Aztecs. Your conception of imperialism would =
exclude these cases. Of course, we could focus on "modern" empires, but =
that would leave at least three outstanding issues for me. a) we would =
need to clarify a conception of "modernity" and relate it to other key =
terms with which we have been conjuring -- the west, nationalism, and =
capitalism. b) I do not want to proceed with an a priori conviction that =
there is a huge behavioral gap between modern and ancient empires. I =
suspect that there is much in the behavior of modern imperialists that =
would not have surprised Thucydides in the least. c) We cannot presume =
an a priori connection between capitalism and modern imperialism either. =
I think that the Soviet Union was an empire.

2) I am skeptical of the continuing value of Lenin's (or Hobson's) =
analysis of imperialism. The thesis that advanced capitalist nations =
must export their surplus goods to "underdeveloped" parts of the world =
is consistently belied by the trading patterns of advanced =
post-industrial economies. The bulk of their trade is internal to those =
economies. What credibility remains of Lenin's theory relates to the =
"extraction" thesis maintaining that advanced economies buy off their =
working classes by extracting resources generated by third world labor. =
(That is the part of Lenin's analysis stressed by dependency theorists.) =
There are many problems with the extraction thesis, but the most obvious =
problems relate to oil. Postindustrial economies (especially the U. S. =
economy) are top-heavy with auto related employment. They are also =
heavily dependent on foreign resources that they are not in a position =
to extract. Furthermore, postindustrial economies are increasingly =
service/information driven relying on resources that are not extracted =
from "underdeveloped" countries. Finally, in some cases, imperialist =
behavior does not appear to have extractive motivations. As an example =
Puerto Rico has always required a net outflow of U. S. resources.=20

I realize that these comments are underdeveloped and hardly decisive. I =
only want to indicate the direction of my skepticism.

3) The relationship between capitalism and westernization seems to me =
more contingent than you allow. Entertaining the possibility that the =
relationship is contingent allows us to ask empirical questions about =
the extent that Japan and Singapore are 'western."

Thanks for all of your interesting comments and clarifications.

Larry
----- Original Message -----=20