recent events

Let me begin by emphasising how shocked and horrified I am by the
loss of life in the recent events.

I really worry with Bush at the head of the US at present. Listening
to him is like watching a bad right wing propaganda film from the
1950s. All this stuff about 'attacks on democracy' when it's really
about attacks on US foreign policy. Neither is a question of an 'act
of war' - it is a terrorist attack not an attack by another state. As
one Arab leader said the US really needs to reexamine its foreign
policy.
The administration and government needs to examine why the US is
generating so much hatred and do something about it. I think one of
the things that annoys non Americans (not just the Arab world) most
about the US is its insularity and lack of respect or even awareness
of the rest of the world and the fact that it thinks it knows best
how other nations should conduct their affairs. Bush has been pretty
disastrous so far. I think the US would benefit from the introduction
of compulsory voting at elections which might induce people to vote
for someone sensible and educate themselves politically and about
what is going on in the rest of the world!!

What also really worries me is the hatred that this event will
generate on both sides and that people will start thinking that all
Arabs are inhuman terrorists. As Foucault says terrorism merely
entrenches those attacked in the conviction of their rightness.
Terror invokes terror and blind obedience. The state will use it as a
means of bringing dissident voices into line. It must be said as well
that Islamic fundamentalism is a major problem for everyone including
for more moderate Islamic people.

Can I recommend this excellent site by American journalists trying to
speak out in opposition to the overwhelming media jingoism?
http://www.workingforchange.com/
--
Clare
Clare O'Farrell