Foucault explains what scared me about Bush yesterday

I was watching Bush addressing firemen in NYC yesterday. I was worried
about something ... this excerpt from Frentzy (2000 thesis York Uni Toronto)
helps articulate my fear.

'There was some conscious planning to it: Foucault quotes Servan on linking
the ideas of crime and punishment solidly and immediately in each mind:
"When you have thus formed the chain of ideas in the heads of your citizens,
you will then be able to pride yourselves on guiding them and being their
masters. A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a
true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own
ideas; it is at the stable point of reason that he secures the end of the
chain; this link is all the stronger in that we do not know of what it is
made and believe it to be our own work..." '

American's want blood and Bush wants votes.