From: eldorra mitchell [mailto:manynotone@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 12:33 PM
To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Derrida and Silence

-- Fair enough it all sounds very noble. Noble
silence. Whatever. I prefer Robert Fisk and Noam
Chomsky. Besides it shall make no difference whatever
Jacques Derrida does or does not say. If people are
wondering what he thinks, I would imagine it was
because theya re interested in his moral position...
His 'authority' as a public figure does not rank as
did Michel Foucault and Jean-Paul Sartre. But since we
are discussing this, it was Gilles Deleuze who
expressed his regret that no one equal to Michel
Foucault -- at least back in 1988 -- was alive who
could and would take a stand on matters which made a
difference. That is to say Foucault was the last
intellectual figure with enough universal respect to
be heard by any state authority. He had that sort of
authority and Jacques Derrida does not. Or if he does
it is limited to a very small circle and does not
effect any level of the public and certainly not the
state policy makers.

--- maureen ford <mford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > I
would like to speak in support of Stuart Elden's