RE: Derrida and Silence

Howdy,
In those immortal words of William James "There is no lie more destructive
than a truth misunderstood". It is this which made it necessary for Marx to
declare that he was not a Marxist, those maintaining the purity of his
thought and evading all responsibility for how his words might echo and
distort in the empty heads of the turnip witted. Derrida is not a Derridean.
He does not teach that one should strive to be non-postioned. He teaches
that the attempt to perceive in any way that is not positioned or situated
is a contradiction; is an attempt to see things from a God's eye point of
view that is everywhere all at once while being no where in particular. Like
everything else rooted in religious thinking this attempt itself is a
symptom of disease in the form of a denial of one's situatedness.

What Derrida has written about specifically is the foundation of law in a
primordial act of violence which is the arbitrary judgment which originates
the rule which is the rule of law. To deny this violence at the heart of
law, all law, is to deny the situatedness of even those rules which would
allow one to make judgments about right\wrong , good\evil , groovy\icky. The
main thing a careful study of Derrida could bring to any discussion of
terrorism is a strong sense of the fact the every order is founded in an act
of terrorism which then becomes the cornerstone of the order which any
subsequent act of terrorism most decenter in order to become an act of
creation rather than an act of destruction. Derrida deconstructs the binary
of terror/law by pointing out the terror at the heart of law and the aching
need to become law at the heart of terror.

This insight will be traumatic from the point of view of all who respond to
the routine terrors of their own situated way of life through a strategy of
identification with the aggressor; from the point of view of those who most
think of themselves as "good" or "right" from the perspective of a God who
was never a terrorist and could never be undone by terror in order to
maintain spincter control, self-respect or the capacity to culturally
reproduce at home or in the classroom by making authoritative daddy like
sounds for the supposed benefit of young people who damn well better be
impressionable if they know what's good for them.