From: owner-foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of newidder
Sent: 31 October 2001 17:28
To: deleuze-guattari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Secondary literature for Todorov/post-colonial studies

I am currently putting together the reading list for a course I am teaching
next semester on liberlism, communitarianism and the politics of otherness.
The course will include Tvetan Todorov's The Conquest of America. As there
is
basically no secondary literature on this book itself (unless someone knows
of
something, in which case please let me know), I was hoping to get some
suggestions for more general literature in post-colonial studies that could
go
along with this study of how the Spaniards encountered a strange land with
strange pagans who did not fit into their established categories and so
ended
up exterminating them (as one does with people who don't fit into your
established categories).

I realize Todorov's book isn't always thought of very highly in the field of
post-colonial studies, but I, for one, like the book and would like to find
some other literature to go with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Nathan