some substantive rhetoric on the Female Body

here is an OP Ed piece on the Female Body, Afgani vis-a-vis Western Bodies --

The burka and the bikini

By Joan Jacobs Brumberg and Jacquelyn Jackson, 11/23/2001

HE FEMALE BODY - covered in a burka or uncovered in a bikini - is a subtle
subtext in the war against terrorism. The United States did not engage in this
war to avenge women's rights in Afghanistan. However, our war against the
Taliban, a regime that does not allow a woman to go to school, walk alone on a
city street, or show her face in public, highlights the need to more fully
understand the ways in which our own cultural ''uncovering'' of the female body
impacts the lives of girls and women everywhere.

Taliban rule has dictated that women be fully covered whenever they enter the
public realm, while a recent US television commercial for ''Temptation Island
2'' features near naked women. Although we seem to be winning the war against
the Taliban, it is important to gain a better understanding of the Taliban's
hatred of American culture and how women's behavior in our society is a
particular locus of this hatred. The irony is that the images of sleek, bare
women in our popular media that offend the Taliban also represent a major
offensive against the health of American women and girls.

During the 20th century, American culture has dictated a nearly complete
uncovering of the female form. In Victorian America, good works were a measure
of female character, while today good looks reign supreme. From the hair removal
products that hit the marketplace in the 1920s to today's diet control measures
that seek to eliminate even healthy fat from the female form, American girls and
women have been stripped bare by a sexually expressive culture whose beauty
dictates have exerted a major toll on their physical and emotional health.

The unrealistic body images that we see and admire every day in the media are
literally eating away at the female backbone of our nation. A cursory look at
women's magazines, popular movies and television programs reveal a wide range of
images modeling behaviors that directly assault the human skeleton. The
ultra-thin woman pictured in a magazine sipping a martini or smoking a cigarette
is a prime candidate for osteoporosis later in life.

In fact, many behaviors made attractive by the popular media, including eating
disorders, teen smoking, drinking, and the depression and anxiety disorders that
can occur when one does not measure up are taking a major toll on female health
and well-being. The American Medical Association last year acknowledged a link
between violent images on the screen and violent behavior among children. In a
world where 8-year-olds are on diets, adult women spend $300 million a year to
slice and laser their bodies and legal pornography is a $56 billion industry, it
is time to note the dangers of unhealthy body images for girls and women.

Now that the Taliban's horrific treatment of women is common knowledge, dieting
and working out to wear a string bikini might seem to be a patriotic act. The
war on terrorism has certainly raised our awareness of the ways in which women's
bodies are controlled by a repressive regime in a far away land, but what about
the constraints on women's bodies here at home, right here in America?

In the name of good looks (and also corporate profits - the Westernized image of
the perfect body is one of our most successful exports) contemporary American
women continue to engage in behaviors that have created major public health
concerns.

Although these problems may seem small in the face of the threat of anthrax and
other forms of bioterrorism, there is still a need to better understand how
American culture developed to the point that it now threatens the health of its
bikini-clad daughters and their mothers.

Covered or uncovered, the homefront choice is not about morality but the
physical and emotional health of future generations.

Whether it's the dark, sad eyes of a woman in purdah or the anxious darkly
circled eyes of a girl with anorexia nervosa, the woman trapped inside needs to
be liberated from cultural confines in whatever form they take. The burka and
the bikini represent opposite ends of the political spectrum but each can exert
a noose-like grip on the psyche and physical health of girls and women.

Joan Jacobs Brumberg is a historian at Cornell University and author of ''The
Body Project: An Intimate History Of American Girls.'' Jacquelyn Jackson is a
women's health advocate in Washington.

This story ran on page A31 of the Boston Globe on 11/23/2001.
© Copyright 2001 Globe Newspaper Company.