do we still need Empires?

Dear List

Anbody has read the following article? If yes what is your view of it?
Actually I was going to send it to a list dedicated to Negri's Empire. But I
do not have its address. I kow a few from this list participate in that
group as well. So I decided to post it here. And even it might be worth
thinking the issue from the Foucauldian perspective as well, especially his
latter writings on liberalism and governmentality.

regards
ali

Why we still need empires
Tony Blair's foreign policy guru Robert Cooper believes that a new
colonialism can save the
world. This is the article that caused the storm. You can also read a longer
version of this
essay at here and join the online debate here
Robert Cooper
Saturday April 06 2002
The Guardian