Re: Foucault and Terrorism

Just some thoughts on the timeliness and relevance of Ali Rizvi's posting:

We at Columbia University had a rally last Wednesday calling for an end to
the occupation. One thing that was repeatedly emphasized was that we do
not see this as a struggle between Jews and Palestinians, nor do we Jews as
the enemy. Mahmood Mamdani said it quite eloquently in his speech: "When
the Klu Klux Klan burns crosses and attacks black people, I do not call it
'Christian violence', and when Osama bin Laden bombs the Word Trade Center,
I do not call it 'Muslim violence'. In that very same way, when the
Israeli army commits atrocities against Palestinians I will never call it
'Jewish violence'." To call it "Jewish violence" or to blame Jews for what
is happening is to subscribe to the very racist and binary logic that we
oppose.

Unfortunately, despite everything we kept saying at the rally --and despite
the fact that a large number of the speakers were themselves Jewish-- the
whole thing got spun in the campus newspaper as "anti-Jewish". Worse
still, certain comments made by two speakers were quoted out of context to
make it sound like the speakers themselves were attacking the legacy of the
Holocaust, when in fact what they had been saying is that Sharon's actions
[NB: not the actions of "the Jews"] constituted a betrayal of the legacy of
the holocaust.

-Nate