RE: power/knowledge

>Does anyone "know" what the words for "power" and "knowledge" are in
French?

It's interesting that they aren't the words that Foucault uses. I'm sure
there are others who can answer this better than I can, I've only had four
years of French and never read Foucault in French, but Foucault does not
generally use the nouns "connaissance" and "puissance" which would translate
literally to knowledge and power, but rather the infinitive form
"pouvoir/savoir" which translates literally as "to be able to/to know". This
is a big source of confusion for those whose first encounter with Foucault
is in English (as mine was) because what Foucault (or perhaps his
translators?) means by power is not exactly the same as the common American
usage, such as in the cliche "knowledge is power".

**snip**

Andrew Brokos

This is pretty much my understanding also, I just wanted to point to Gayatri
Spivak's explication of this in "More on Power/Knowledge" which is in _The
Spivak Reader_ (Routledge 1996) around pages 150-51, which is a little more
detailed, but comes to the same place.

Robert Fanning
http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/