Re: foucault and liberalism

dear Ari,

I think it is getting a little clearer (if I get it right, you were trying to
oppose what you thought was a celebration of liberal government), and I am
sorry for the use of capable and legitimate since they are my making and
probably not Foucault's - and that they made lead to confusion given the
omnipresence of liberal philosophers (being relatively new on the list though
I did not think that this was a popular reading of him here)! I should add
though that if I should certainly have been more careful with these, I
still don't think the idea is very far from what Foucault tried to underline
through his analyses of a liberal mode of governement: that is that this mode
of government is different from other modes in that it presupposes and poses
different subjects that can and should (in varying and modulated ways) be
engaged in the government of self and others. That is not to me a celebration
of the freedom in liberal government but an assessment of how it works and
produces effects.

I was not worried that the argument was directed to my person. Neither are
ever mine directed to any person,
Francois

François Gagnon
Étudiant au Doctorat