Re: War as the Sacrifice of Sons

Professor Koenigsberg,
I was very interested in your series of posts about warfare and submission to
the father figure of the state. I am interested in your opinion concerning
submission and the state at a slightly different level. I am analyzing the
motivations behind the United State's lack of willingness to submit to the
newly formed International Criminal Court war crimes tribunal. It seems to many
people that the motivation for this refusal to submit to such an international
court precisely derives from the opposite motivation of your Nazi example.
Whereas the Nazi's used aggression to overcome weakness, the United States
refuses to submit its authority because it conceives itself the role of
superpower/world police person. I was interested in your thoughts about this
case vis a vis your theory about submission and violence.

John Oden
University of Michigan