RE: Foucault and Clinical Audit

Yes, indeed, Foucault's work lends itself to an analysis of the current technique of the audit. How exciting that you are taking up this question! I am sure there are many scholars working on this issue, but the one who comes to my mind is Nikolas Rose, especially in his book _Powers of Freedom: Reframing political thought_(1999).

Lisa

-----Original Message-----
From: claudius [mailto:claudius.laumanns@xxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 11:17 AM
To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Foucault and Clinical Audit

I am afraid one could explain the audit with Foucault as governing the
healthcare system. He definitly liked radical anti- medical movements
and tried to support them with his early work. (says Lembke)

I think never gave any direct suggestions how to improve institutions,
it would have been a contradiction to his critic of universal
intellectuals.
But he mentiones some features of architecture and methods of gaining
Data. So I suggest (with Foucault) to avoid organizing the health care
system after these principles. (and not to develope worse, i think the
crucial point is to avoid changing the life of the sick.)

Claudius