RE: Problematizing

I think this is true:
>From: Cordelia Chu <raccoon@xxxxxxx>
>2) and if it is possible to remove (or to some extend remove) oneself from
>his
>own culture/ discourse - would that make the person a threat to the
>society,
>since he is no longer disciplined and controlled by the governing agent?

I have tried breaking the use of organisational acronyms - replacing them
with the full words that make up the acronym. Those who have invested time
in learning the acronyms do appear to be threatened by that sort of
behaviour. They may even perceive that they do not control you if you do
not speak with their acronyms. It would be an interesting thing to study.

The Australian republican movement has failed in this regard by not offering
a viable alternative to the dominant discourse of Australian society. There
is a strong national discourse based on constitutional monarchy and people
are afraid of losing their identity. Without something of equally powerful
symbolism people will refuse to let it go. I cannot imagine anything as
strong as the current constitutional monarchy - you would end up with
something as shallow as the US Presidential system; Americans are the
biggest enthusiasts for UK monarchy anywhere. In the 1970s The Duke of
Edinburgh told Canadians, 'I feel like a dog when I go to the USA, "they say
to me "come here Prince, sit there Prince" '. I suppose I find that amusing
because I am trapped by the dominant discourse.

My discourse is a threat to republicans as much as their discourse is a
threat to me.

Lionel Boxer CD PhD MBA - 0411267256 - lboxer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Read my book chapter in The Self and Others
http://www.intergon.net/books.html -- http://intergon.net/card
Melbourne Rifles 150th Anniversary -- http://intergon.net/rifles