Re: Abnormal/ British c18-19

borderlands@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I know from what
> Colin Gordon has written on the topic that the eighteenth century Scottish
> Enlightenment (especially the works of Smith and Ferguson) was a topic of
> discussion, and I'm wondering if this was broadened to include other works,
> such as those of William Robertson, John Millar, Lord Kames, etc - or if
> Foucault extended his interests in this area (suggested by the earlier
> lectures on Boulanvillers) to a discussion of Montesquieu.

The answer to the above is, I think, no.
Someone also asked about Bentham and Utilitarians. There is discussion of
Bentham and Panopticon in the 78 lectures which discuss dispositifs of security,
and of English utilitarianism and radicalism, as technologies of government,
in 79 ( utility as criterion of the scope of government).

Colin Gordon

Director, NHSIA Disease Management Systems Programme
Health Informatics Manager, Royal Brompton Hospital
Chair, British Medical informatics Society
http://www.bmis.org
07881 625146
colinngordon@xxxxxxx

--- StripMime Warning -- MIME attachments removed ---
This message may have contained attachments which were removed.

Sorry, we do not allow attachments on this list.

multipart/alternative
text/html
---