Re: Power/Knowledge

Clare

Yes, but I should really have added, after discussing my own questionable
deeds, that I know in this case 'Abnormal' wasn't the translator's choice. I can
remember though thinking 'Discipline and Punish' seeming an odd and awkward
title. Maybe we will learn to love 'Abnormal'.'Junkie' comes to mind as an
related precedent...

Colin

panoptique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Subj: Re: Power/Knowledge
> Date: 13/03/04 21:28:41 GMT Standard Time
> From: panoptique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Colin
>
> >might have agonised a bit more if I'd guessed the book would still be in
> print
> >in 2004. The first publisher we took the project to said they didn't think
> it
> >was a book. Changing the subject - what about 'Abnormal'?
>
> Do you mean the title? I have to say that personally I really don't
> like it. I find that it sounds rather odd - abnormal even :-). But
> then a direct translation of the French title would probably have
> sounded odd as well - The Abnormals-, but it does have historical
> and concrete nuances that the singular universal concept does not.
> However, I'm probably being unduly picky!
> --
> Clare
> Clare O'Farrell
> email: panoptique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> website: http://www.foucault.qut.edu.au

Colin Gordon

Director, NHSIA Disease Management Systems Programme
Health Informatics Manager, Royal Brompton Hospital
Chair, British Medical informatics Society
http://www.bmis.org
07881 625146
colinngordon@xxxxxxx

--- StripMime Warning -- MIME attachments removed ---
This message may have contained attachments which were removed.

Sorry, we do not allow attachments on this list.

multipart/alternative
text/html
---