Re: foucault-digest V2 #670

Brady

Page reference is the original. Foucault websites carry info on new
publication's e.g. Foucault Resources at http://www.foucault.qut.edu.au . Searches at
amazon.fr and amazon.com on 'Foucault cours' / 'Foucault lectures' return the
details. The story behind the Italian presence in the editions is, briefly,
that an initial unauthorised Italian publication of the 76 lectures - with plans
to publish the rest - led to the Foucault estate being persuaded to change its
mind and allow an authorised publication. Alessandro Fontana who took the
joint lead in the pirating was a longstanding friend and
collaborator-interviewer-translator-editor of Foucault. We are in his debt. The series introductions
in each volume say a bit more.
I think the order was partly a function of the Italians' choices, state of
the source materials, editors' expertise etc. As previously reported here there
have been 4 French volumes since 97, 2 more due out this year (78 and 79), 6
more to come after that.
I agree with Stuart Elden that the editors to date have done a fine job.
The US publisher has not been all that speedy and exact publication schedules
are unclear. The 1982 volume may appear this year if they accelerate a bit,
and the 1973-4 in 2005.

regards

Colin

In a message dated 14/03/04 18:13:27 GMT Standard Time, bradyation@xxxxxxxxx
writes:

> [...]
> ourselves constantly to this ethic of the self without ever giving it any
> content, I think it may be that we are forced to suspect that the
> constitution of an
> ethic of the self may be impossible today, even though it may be an urgent,
> fundamental and politically indispensable task, if it is true after all that
>
> there is no first or final point of resistance to political power other than
> in
> the relationship of self to self.
>
> If you like, in other words, what I mean is this: if we take the question of
>
> power, of political power, situating it in the more general question of
> governmentality understood as a strategic field of power relations in the
> broadest
> and not merely political sense of the term, if we understand by
> governmentality a strategic field of power relations in their mobility,
> transformability and
> reversibility, then I do not think that reflection on this notion of
> governmentality can avoid passing through, theoretically and practically,
> the element
> of a subject defined by the relationship of self to self. Although the
> theory of political power as an institution usually refers to a juridical
> conception of the subject of right, it seems to me that the analysis of
> governmentality - that is to say, of power as a set of reversible
> relationships - must refer
> to an ethics of the subject defined by the relationship of self to self.
> Quite simply this means that in the type of analysis I have been trying to
> advance for some time you can see that power relations, governmentality, the
>
> government of the self and of others, and the relationship of self to self
> constitute
> a chain, a thread, and I think it is around these notions that we should be
> able to connect together the question of politics and the question of
> ethics.
> >>

> On Agamben, Negri, Foucault and biopower there is valuable discussion by Nik
>
> Rose and Paul Rabinow at
> http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/sociology/pdf/RabinowandRose-BiopowerToday03
> .pdf . Among other interesting stuff on Nik's site is
> his and Paul's introduction to the new 1-volume 'essential F'.
> http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/sociology/whoswho/rose.htm
>
> regards
>
> Colin
>

> - --- StripMime Warning -- MIME attachments removed ---
> This message may have contained attachments which were removed.
>
> Sorry, we do not allow attachments on this list.
>
> - --- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts ---
> multipart/alternative
> text/html
> - ---

> --- StripMime Warning -- MIME attachments removed ---
> This message may have contained attachments which were removed.
>
> Sorry, we do not allow attachments on this list.

Colin Gordon

Director, NHSIA Disease Management Systems Programme
Health Informatics Manager, Royal Brompton Hospital
Chair, British Medical informatics Society
http://www.bmis.org
07881 625146
colinngordon@xxxxxxx