Re: Human rights

At 19:10 +0100 2/4/04, McIntyre wrote:
> Did Foucault not talk of the responsibility that we
>hold because of our global citizenship?

Might I add to Arianna's and Colin Gordon's comments with another
citation from the piece they have already referred to by Foucault
'Confronting governments: human rights', in Power, ed James Faubion,
New York: New York Press, 2000.

Foucault notes 'there exists an international citizenship that has
its rights and its duties, and that obligates one to speak out
against every abuse of power, whoever its author, whoever its
victims. After all, we are all members of the community of the
governed, and therefore obliged to show mutual solidarity', p. 454.

I like the bit about the obligation to speak out against *every*
abuse of power, no matter where one finds it.

My thanks to Ravinder Sidhu for also reminding me of this short but
very worthwhile article yesterday!
--
Clare
Clare O'Farrell