who decides what is "global morality?"

Hello Mr. Clare,

Thank you for the quote, I wonder if Foucault mentioned anything about who
gets to decide what
constitutes an abuse, especially since we don't have one global culture that
shares one [flattened]
set of beliefs and values.

For example, in Chambri, Papua New Guinea, ritual initiation of adolescent
male into adulthood is
still performed through cutting, blood letting, and hazing (pushing, burning,
forced to eat
garbage, verbal insults). Is Foucault suggesting that we have
"responsibility" as "global citizen" to
force them to abolish their traditional practices?

This reminds me of the Christian crusade, in which a dominating force imposes
its arbitrary set of
beliefs and values upon other cultures.

-Cordelia

>===== Original Message From "Clare O'Farrell" <panoptique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
=====
>At 19:10 +0100 2/4/04, McIntyre wrote:
>> Did Foucault not talk of the responsibility that we
>>hold because of our global citizenship?
>

>Might I add to Arianna's and Colin Gordon's comments with another
>citation from the piece they have already referred to by Foucault
>'Confronting governments: human rights', in Power, ed James Faubion,
>New York: New York Press, 2000.
>
>Foucault notes 'there exists an international citizenship that has
>its rights and its duties, and that obligates one to speak out
>against every abuse of power, whoever its author, whoever its
>victims. After all, we are all members of the community of the
>governed, and therefore obliged to show mutual solidarity', p. 454.
>
>I like the bit about the obligation to speak out against *every*
>abuse of power, no matter where one finds it.
>
>My thanks to Ravinder Sidhu for also reminding me of this short but
>very worthwhile article yesterday!
>--
>Clare
>Clare O'Farrell
>email: panoptique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>website: http://www.foucault.qut.edu.au

The belief in truth is precisely madness - Nietzsche

I had been mad enough to study reason - Foucault