Re: war / analytics

"Analytic(s) of power" is course, a perfectly accurate translation of
"analytique du pouvoir", and there is a fairly well-known instance of such a
translation in HS1 (p 82; original p 109): 'The aim... is to move less towards a
"theory" of power than towards an "analytics" of power.'

Foucault's continuing interest, as late as 1984, in studying war and
military affairs is entirely compatible with discarding the general hypothesis that
politics is a continuation of war by other means. Treating war as the
universal and fundamental political reality is not necessary, and may not be
helpful, to the study of war as a specific set of phenomena with a specific and
enormous impact on the field of governmental rationality and practice. Taken
together, the lectures of 76-79 can be read as showing in a variety of ways that
war-making and peace-making are distinct but intimately linked aspects of
moderm governmentality.
Foucault also said in a brief 1983 interview [DE 337; untranslated?] that
the notions of 'peace' and 'pacifism' needed to be treated with caution.

Colin

In a message dated 29/08/04 01:21:41 GMT Daylight Time, cmcfarla@xxxxxxxx