From: owner-foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of brady
heiner
Sent: 10 September 2004 07:02
To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: History of Sexuality 1 / 1976 Lectures

Does anyone know definitively the chronology for the final chapter of the
first volume of the _History of Sexuality_ and the 17 March 1976 Lecture at
the College de France? Which was written first? If one goes by publication
dates, it seems the lecture was written/delivered first and then
subsequently modified for publication (since HS1 was first published in
autumn 1976). However, Ann Laura Stoler claims in _Race and the Education of
Desire_ that HS1 was already at press when Foucault gave the 1976 lectures.
Also, Daniel Defert claims (quoted in Miller's biography of Foucault) that
Foucault began the last chapter of HS1 on the very same day that he finished
_Discipline and Punish_.

Can anyone help me out with a more conclusive chronology?

Thanks,
Brady