RE: military

I recall that Foucault's map reading analogy was based on a military reading
of the ground.

>From Chapter 3 of my thesis (http://intergon.net/phd

"Military personnel understand how to read a map in such a way that they can
gain a substantial understanding of the general contour and specific
features of the ground which it represents. Elden (2001) explains that
repérage is a term Foucault borrows from the military to explain this
map-reading process. However, repérage is not used in English translations
of Foucault?s work. To further convolute translation, the meaning-laiden
?formation? (1969, p. 152) is translated to a more benign ?field? (1972, p.
143). To say that something is ?an effect of the discursive field in which
it is mapped?, loses the dynamic derivative quality intended. Rather,
Foucault appears to have intended to allude to extracting substantial
knowledge from understanding the dynamics of the situation through
purposeful consideration. Unlike a field, a formation evolves and, unlike
mapping, repérage implies a tactical decision based on developments of the
formation in question."

Perhaps other military references are hidden in inacurate translations??

Lionel Boxer CD PhD MBA - 0411267256 - lboxer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Charity day at Dame Elisabeth's - see http://intergon.net
Victorian Scottish Regiment
NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT (none may attack me with impunity)
Melbourne Volunteer Rifle Regiment 150th Anniversary --
http://intergon.net/rifles

>From: Heidi Rimke <hrimke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: military
>Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:29:22 -0400 (EDT)
>

>looking for foucauldian text references on the military
>
>thanks,
>
>Anarchism is the conscience of the left.

Searching for that dream home? Try http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au for
all your property needs.