Re: actualité

---- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Turner" <k_turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Foucaut List" <foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2004 5:46 AM
Subject: actualité

I have been listening to the lecture on 'The Culture of the Self,' that
Foucault presented at Berkeley Language Centre, 12 April 1983:
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Speech/VideoTest/audiofiles.html

In this lecture, and elsewhere, Foucault uses the term actualité, and I was
wondering if this term has the same kind of connotations as the English word
"actuality," or whether there was some meaning specific to the French that
is not captured by, and thus not translatable into, English.
***
I haven't listened to the lecture, but one alternate meaning of actualité which comes to mind is "news," or "current events." The Quebec newspaper L'actualité is an example.

Margaret Robinson
Toronto

http://www3.sympatico.ca/moogie.robinson/index.html

--- StripMime Warning -- MIME attachments removed ---
This message may have contained attachments which were removed.

Sorry, we do not allow attachments on this list.

multipart/alternative
text/html
---