Re: critique or criticism?/pouvoir- "pouvire"

I hope the list is still active. I still have to visit Claire website in
order to subscribe, I guess).

Concerning your second question. I was reading Leçon 7/10/1973 in le pouvoir
psychiatrique recently. In his autocritique on H/F, F. says he will try to
reconsider H/F not from the point of view of representations of madness but
from a dispositif de pouvoir. (p.14) in his second autocritique on the last
chapters of H/F he says that he used the concept of Violence (next to
institution and family) which seemed to be unfruitful. Pouvoir is more
appropriate, less irrational and thus a better concept for analysis. (p.
16). In that way it is not so obvious to read power analysis in the older
texts

Denoix

On 28-11-2004 16:29, "Kevin Turner" <k_turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1) Does Foucault make a distinction between "critique" and "criticism"?
> I know that the subtitle to 'Omnes et Singulatim' has been translated as
> both '...Critique of Political Reason,' and '...Criticism of Political
> Reason,' and I was wondering if there is, or should, be a difference. It may
> be a moot point, but Mitchell Dean does make something of the distinction
> between criticism and critique vis-a-vis Foucault in his Critical and
> Effective Histories.
>
> 2) Did Foucault always use the term "pouvire" for power - i.e. did he use
> the term pouvoir in Folie et d?raison (Madness and Civilization), The Birth
> of the Clinic and The Order of Things, or did he use the word puissance in
> these text?
>
> Regards - Kevin

--- StripMime Warning -- MIME attachments removed ---
This message may have contained attachments which were removed.

Sorry, we do not allow attachments on this list.

multipart/alternative
text/html
---