RE: [Foucault-L] Introduction and Birth of the Clinic query

Hello Shannon

Positioning Theory was in part influenced by Foucualt (as shown in my thesis http://intergon.net/phd and my chapter in the second Positoning Theory text, Harre and Moghaddam, The Self and Others). There is a website by James Luberda about positoining theory and literature (Middlemarch in particular), that does not refer to directly Foucault, but it does refer to Foucault indirectly through several of the bibliographies of the works in the bibliography:
http://www.sp.uconn.edu/~jbl00001/positioning/index.shtml

On that site he refers to the seminal article on positioning theory:
Davies, B. and Harré, R. (1990). 'Positioning: The Discursive Production of Selves.' Journal for the Theory of Social Behavior, 20 (1), 43-63. Rpt. w modifications as Ch. 3 in Rom Harré and Luk van Langenhove (eds), Positioning Theory: Moral Contexts of Intentional Action. Malden: Blackwell. Link to full-text of original article on-line.
I showed in my thesis that this article drew on 22 references, 8 of which drew on Foucault (including two by Davies). When I pointed that out to Davies and Harre they were not aware of that influence, however, Davies admitted that since 1990 she has become more influenced by Foucault.

My PhD thesis devoted space to Foucault's gaze, from which I developed a concept of Social Flux (or - what I now - refer to as underlying mood or underlying conscious). Social flux is used to help explain the positioning process. My inclination - having discussed these issues with James - and Foucault briefly during my PhD research - is that my work would contribute to your current project in whatever way you feel appropriate.

Also, I have assembled a pile of Foucault links at:
http://intergon.net/phd/linksa.htm

I was at RMC Kingston from 76-79 (originally from Toronto). I remember Queens well - especially fond memories of Vic Hall. Snow and ice were too much for me and I moved to Melbourne Australia.

Lionel Boxer CD PhD MBA - 0411267256 - lboxer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sustainability and leadership - see http://intergon.net
Victorian Scottish Regiment
NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT (none may attack me with impunity)
Melbourne Volunteer Rifle Regiment 150th Anniversary -- http://intergon.net/rifles
Legion of Frontiersmen Centenary - http://intergon.net/frontiersmen
The Army Lodge 75th Anniversary Fri 3 Dec 2004 -- http://intergon.net/tal