Re: [Foucault-L] practice

One function of the word 'practice' in Althusser, as Jason Read (in an as yet unpublished conference paper) has raised, is to displace idealist conceptions of 'ideas' and so on, for example in the concept of 'theoretical practice', which Read argues derives from Spinoza. Given what Macherey says regarding the Spinozist aspect of Foucault - in his paper in the collection _Michel Foucault: Philosopher_ - maybe the word 'practice' in Foucault had a similar function, namely as a means of displacing existing notions as much as entailing a positive, elaborated concept? What you say about the doer and the doing also rings bells regarding Spinozism as much as Nietzsche & Heidegger. I've actually just started reading Stuart Elden's book _Mapping History_ at the moment (or at least reading chapters from it, I *hope* to read the whole thing before other things take over as they do), that makes the case for the influence of Heidegger on Foucault (and especially on Foucault's reading of Nietzsche) - if you haven't looked at that book yet it might be a good place to start.

Sorry my reading of Foucault although relatively extensive has never been as systematic as my reading of Althusser and I can't remember exactly any passages where Foucault actually specifies how he conceptualises 'practice' in general, how it might be distinguished as different forms of practice, or what the relations might be in his work between general notions of practice and specific, concrete practices.

David