Re: [Foucault-L] Tensions between governmentalities

I would only like to add something of a historical
background to the comments Bradly has adressed to the
question raised concerning the (possible) tensions
bewteen laisses fair polity, on the one hand, and
welfare polity, on the other.

It is a historical fact that the first 'corporations'
recognized as legal fictions were the 'corporations of
the poor' (incorporated in the 16th century).
Corporations, in the form of the 'corporations of the
poor', became the new institutional type of poor
relief, the new agent invested with the responcibility
of its administration, filling the space vacuated by
the desolation of the monastaries (the traditional
agent of poor relief). This shift in institutional
types represents a fundamental shift in the structure
and organization of christian charity more generally
and marks the birth of the 'welfare state'.

Thus, in the first instance and last analysis, we can
establish a relation of mutual dependence subsisting
between laisses fair policy and poor relief. It is
interesting to point out in this context, to
demonstrate the relavance of this historical
hypothesis to the present, that the (self evident)
'necessity' of 'poor relief' is making inroads for the
'global village' of the 'world market' into 'third
world contries', preparing the way for the
establishment of 'vital industry' which will see them
become 'self-sufficient' (in theory if not in
practice, as long as the practice of subsidizing
agricultural produce is seen to i.e., in the case of
american cotton farmers).