From: michael bibby <shmickeyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Foucault-L] Freedom of Conscience.
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:58:41 +1100 (EST)

Whilst doing some research recently into freedom,
rights and authority of the conscience I stumbled upon
the following (unreferenced) quote by Foucault:
"freedom of conscience entails more dangers than
authority and despotism". Can anyone provide me with a
source and or other textual references which bear upon
the inter-related themes of the freedom, rights and
authority of the conscience (apart from what can be
gleaned- which is much- from Madness and Civilization
and Discipline and Punish).

Also, while I am here, I am hoping somebody can tell
me where I might be able to find (beside in 'Artaud
Anthology', which I havent got access to) translations
of two essays by Antonin Artaud which I am having
trouble laying my bloody hands upon (pardon the pun)-
'On Suicide' and 'Van Gogh: The man
suicided by society.'

Thanks in advance.