Re: [Foucault-L] savoir - connaissance

as Machiel noted, the answer to your question is history:

both langue and structure are ahistorical - parole and agency being empirical instances of langue and structure. this is to say, that the dualism of these forms is that of the empirico-transcendental doublet that Foucault talked about at lenght in The Oder of Things. In addition, the ahistorical of both langue and structure tends to be the universal subject of history: it is man as universal substance that allows for knowldege of man as empirical instance.

For Foucault both savoir and connaissance are historically constituted - moreover, savoir is not the cause of connaissance, rather connaissance is an effect of savoir; and savoir is the historical apriori of subjects (and objects) - it is what gives subject to connaissance.

thus, savoir/connaissance is ontologically different from either langue/parole or structure.agency. and therefore i do not think of savoir/connaissance as a dualism, but as a couplet.

regards - kevin.