Re: [Foucault-L] media rant about Foucault

Wow, that article was, well scary. First, the fact that it was published in the first place by what appears to be a rather prominent Austrailan newspaper/magizine (not sure exactly which) this is evidenced by the fact that it was so dense with logical falacies, ad hominen being the most prominent. Very interesting article nontheless, just paying attention to the rhetoric and the contradictions that underpin and contrast the rhetorical style with the content of the article as a whole. I particularly liked how they made his being infected with AIDS something of his own doing, a form of sucide they made it seem. I know not for certain, but I'm going to rest some confidence in the other.

Another question that spawns from this article that is kind of relevant to a few other threads that have been in circulation these past few weeks is the question of education. The author, Giles Auty, I think it was is complaining about the corruption that post-modernist or neo-Marxist as the author made it out to be and its effectiveness at indocternating youth. Maybe I'm completly off, but isn't one of the essential aspects of the Marxist triangle diagram the whole notion of dialectical reason and the critique of capitalism? I see that as being something far from what one may call 'indocternating'. Post-modernism also leaves everything incredibly ambiguious, and the last time I checked, Ambiguity was not indocternating.

I want to say that we should send him calm e-mails, telling him the mistakes and misinterpretations that he's making, but I'm going to drift away from any 'telling'

Cheers,

-Marc

Celebrate Earth Day everyday! Discover 10 things you can do to help slow climate change. Yahoo! Earth Day