Re: [Foucault-L] media rant about Foucault

I would like to thank Angela for her response and I can only underline the political aspect of this attack, which is clearly McCarthyist. And it's not just Foucault but others, most famously the Windschuttle attack on Toni Negri. Actually when I saw the article I groaned and said to myself "uh, not Windschuttle again", but then I saw it was by this English bloke.

For those list members living outside of Australia, yes, The Australian is the most prominent newspaper and it is where academic jobs are advertised etc on Wednesdays but it is generally hated by most intellectuals who are not aligned with the Right for its pro-Howard propaganda. Its role in the debates on history here has been consistently celebratory and jingoistic in a manner that might make even Francis Fukuyama uncomfortable.

One word might make this all fall into place: Murdoch.

Australia has been well and truly 'outfoxed' ... in many cities around Australia Murdoch owns the only daily newspaper, the classic example being The Advertiser here in Adelaide, although it tends towards right-populist rather than right-elitist (that's The Australian's niche).

best,
David