Re: [Foucault-L] request for moderation

The list has been unfiltered and unmoderated for the last 2 weeks - the subject line already questions this change.

There are two positions:
1. The list is able to auto-regulate itself, list members should not be policed or censured, freedom of speech, mirror of the diversity of real life manners and discourses, better more messages than long silence, just hit the "delete" button or unsubscribe, etc.
2. The list needs a minimal policy and moderation as defined there: http://foucault.info/Foucault-L/

Since the transfer of the Foucault-L from Spoon collective in december 2004, I've been semi-moderating and filtering out:
- off-subject posts (no link with Foucault)
- messages without elaborated information (such as "i'm in holiday" "thank you" and everything in the "weather is beautiful" category)
- polemical messages (as fully described by Foucault in the article "Polemics, Politics and Problematizations")

The majority of the members are listening in silence: they may figure this space as a public forum with an audience of +1000 people, they hesitate to grab the mike, knowing that this is also recorded and archived for good, in search engines etc. I understand this position but I also think the ratio contributor/listener is out of proportion: this is actually an issue in many lists.
Also note that during this last year, at least 3 members argued with me in private and unsubscribed as they disagreed with one of the 3 cited rules of filtering.

I can no longer semi-moderate the list and I encourage the Foucault-L to discuss and choose between option 1 auto-regulation and option 2 semi-moderation. For option 2, we'll need new volunteers to moderate.

Camille
Foucault-L admin.

Folow-ups
    • From: Mr. Rupert Russell