Re: [Foucault-L] request for moderation

My two cents on the moderation issue:

Back in the SPOON days, we used to manage fine unmoderated. A few
people would send someone spammy or trolly stuff to the list, but they
were generally ignored - at least, I had no trouble ignoring them.

The previous moderation on this list saw most of my emails not allowed
through. I feel that the list has declined in quality greatly since
the move to foucault.info - expressing this feeling was in fact one of
the things which got me moderated.

My feeling now is that we are having teething troubles going
unmoderated. The regular posters are relative newbies to the list, and
are used to a heavily moderated list. I expect that things will
quickly find an equilibrium.

Rupert's argument that we have censorship either way so we should
therefore deliberately censor posting is true in its premises but
makes no sense as an argument. Yes, people jumping on posters is a
form of censorship. But I have no problem with this, since frankly
people often need to be discouraged from posting (I didn't read any of
the emails Rupert is referring to though, so am not commenting on his
case). I don't think assigning this function to a well-meaning elite
and giving them power to censor by fiat is a good way to go, though;
at least not yet. Let's see if we can't play nicely first.