Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault on Population

Hi,

> that the notion of population also looms in the background of
> Foucault's earlier work. I was hoping that people reading this
Check the early 1970's lectures: Psychiatric Power and Abnormal, where
Foucault sporadically discusses the control of population, in the context
of the development of psychiatry as a modern technique of social control.
His analysis presented there is a precursor of those in Discipline and
Punish and the Will to Knowledge.

If you want to know how so-called governmentality studies are treating the
notions of government and population, have a look at Jonathan Xavier
Inda's Targeting Immigrants: Government, Technology, and Ethics (2005),
esp. Introduction and Chapter 1.

Tetz