Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault and Christ as Cynical philosophers

Dear Folks:

Here's an article that sounds interesting for those of us
studying the Cynical tradition through Foucault. Christ, of
course, is a strong parrhesiastes, as are all Cynics (witness
Diogenes' antagonism of Alexander in Foucault's "Fearless
Speech" (it is in there, isn't it?):

Paul Rhodes Eddy, "Jesus as Diogenes? Reflections on the Cynic
Jesus Thesis" in Journal of Biblical Literature, Vol. 115, No.
3. (Autumn, 1996), pp. 449-469

It's available on JSTOR.

The desert saints might also bear a certain relationship to
Cynical practice. What surprises me is that nobody has (as
far as I know) written a treatment of the Dada movement from
the viewpoint of Foucault's Cynic/Parresia work.

Hope this is useful,

Peter

Peter Winston Fettner,
Intellectual Heritage Program
214 Anderson Hall
(http://www.temple.edu/ih/index.htm),

Department of Philosophy
728 Anderson Hall
(http://www.temple.edu/philosophy/index.html)

1114 West Berks St.
Temple University
Philadelphia, PA 19122
(215) 204-1770

Folow-ups
  • Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault and Christ as Cynical philosophers
    • From: Arianna