Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault and strategies of warfare

Hey Arthur,

For me, Foucault?s most extensive covering of 'power' as strategic and war-like, takes place around the mid 70's,s within HS pt4 chapter 2, The Two Lectures (which can be found in Power/Knowledge) and within various lectures in Society Must Be Defended.

However, you might want to take on board that F seems to re-write this conception of power as war like from the late 1970's; opting to remodel ?Nietzsche?s hypothesis? within his own conception of power as government. (cf 'The Subject and Power')

From: "Arthur Zinault" <arthur.zinault@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Foucault-L] Foucault and strategies of warfare
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 19:05:11 -0500

Hi all,

I'm bugging the list a second time -- my earlier
question was if Foucault had directly addressed
concentration & death camps in WW2. (Not w/ the
ideologies or processes of fascism, or Nazism, but
*specifically death camps*, much as he had dealt with
prisons.) I was helped out a great deal by list
members with some excellent recommendations of Giorgio
Agamben, who I'd embarrassingly never read before.
Thanks for that! :)

So I have to bug you all again: I know towards the end
of his life Foucault became very interested in
warfare, strategies of war (Clausewitz, et. al.), and
how power might be analyzed in terms traditionally
reserved for warfare.

So -- what might be the best stuff by Foucault (or
later Foucauldians) concerning analysis of everyday
power/social relations, with reference to warfare
strategies? That is, are there sociological analyses
that continue in the direction Foucault was heading w/
respect to analyses usually reserved strictly for
military warfare?

Thanks so much for any help!

-Arthur Zinault