Re: [Foucault-L] The agent discussion once more

Wow Kaori, you are being very active on the list during Golden Week! I have had a couple of days teaching and then engaged in drunken silliness with friends during the local Yotaka Matsuri and its aftermath.

I will try to write something - seeing as I was one of those enfants terribles who defended Arianna - but I have that sword of damocles called "my book manuscript" dangling over my head whenever I turn towards this computer.

One thing I would say is that "What is Enlightenment?" is not Foucault's title per se, but rather Kant's: he was writing on Kant's "Was ist Aufklärung?" essay/book.

Another thing is that I would be wary of attributing an ouevre to Foucault, the author, given all that he said regarding the author- function, and the problem of agency seems closely related to this, and, drawing on the French context of Foucault's work again, I would suggest looking at the work of Althusser, Macherey, Deleuze and others of the "Spinozian" tendency in French thought at that time - who were also Nietzcheans in many respects - to gain more understanding of the relationship between notions of "authorship", "agency", and the notion of God as agent. The immanence of God in Spinozian thinking is a critique of transcendence, and Althusser's account of Feuerbach and the Feuerbachian tendency in Marx's thought is also relevant here. Everyone who knows me on the list at all knows that I am a friend of Warren Montag, and at the risk of being seen as yet another shameless plug for his work I would recommend looking at his writings on this subject, especially his books on Spinoza and Althusser and the essays he has written on Foucault.

This of course might represent a Marxist tendency obnoxious to you (Arianna, myself, and some others on the list are very interested in Autonomia as well as Foucault) - if you are indeed close to Nikolas Rose, who is not so keen on such thinking - but anyway I'm happy to chat about such things when I find time, and hopefully I will get the chance to chat with you in Nagoya sometime before I leave Japan in August, if I can make some decent headway on this book, which is already advertised on Amazon and which I have to submit by September 1st, not to mention the interminable job applications which seem to be getting nowhere. I am doing a lot of reading/thinking within the postcolonial/feminist usages of Foucault at the moment - although I work on European images of Asia (especially India), rather than Asian discourses themselves - and I don't think that Foucault has as many problems for being used to think about such things as you do. He is certainly more useful than stuff like Charles Taylor, whose work some (e.g. Javed Majeed) have suggested to use in postcolonial writing rather than Foucault, and I think that the agency issue is better thought about in terms of lines of flight, contingency, and forms of subjection/action than in attempts to reintroduce notions like "agency" and "consciousness" from Enlightenment stuff.

Sorry about some of the horrible sentences in this email, anyway I hope it helps stimulate things.

take care

David

Dr. David McInerney
http://www.borderlandsejournal.adelaide.edu.au/issues/vol4no2.html