Re: [Foucault-L] RE?: Translation of ?nonc? to English

Hi,

I think you misinterpret this passage. Foucault is not saying the
archeologist is using intuition or analysis, but that the énoncé is the
ontological prerequisite to any analysis or intuition. He is refering the
works of grammar, logic, and speech-act theory which he criticized some
pages before the text you quote. The distinction here is to differentiate
énoncé from grammatical sentences (faire sens - Saussure, Bénéviste) logical
propositions (règles de sucessions et être signe de - Frege, Russell, etc.)
and speech-act (acte effectué par la prononciation - Austin, Searle)... he
is stating what archeology is not !

Regards

Jean-François Mongrain