Re: [Foucault-L] RE?: Translation of ?nonc? to English

Hi,

I do think Foucault (or the archologist, the paradox is the same, so if
you refuse to use one, you must also refuse to use the other...) is taking
a statement on ontology. That language is nothing but a ''tactic '' is an
ontological point of view, and a pretty strong claim. Foucault is always
adressing Kant, Frege, the hermeneutical school, the phenomenologists and,
mainly, Hegel...

Here is one ontological claim :

''Many possible kinds of meaning can be attributed to surface statements and
ontological models are only a small part of a subset of those meanings.''

Ontological models are a subset of surface statements, but those statements
must exist for such a subset to exist, so your claim is self-contradictory
because the entire set should then be included in the subset, remembering we
call ontology any discourse on existence, or being. Same problem since
Protagoras : ontological relativism is self contradictory... if you want to
defend that discourse on being is *a general topic*, (I assume here you use
general as *one in many*) you must show you can do so without contradiction.

Foucault is carefull to not fall into such an easy relativism which will
always fall under a strong logical system like Hegel's -- and he is trying
to show that Hegel's dialectic is a bad model for history of ideas. That is
why existence is defined as a function, and the ''surface'' you talk about
as a field of practical relationships. Foucault's solution seems to show
being is, in itself, immanent and multiple, but still, it's another
universal claim, but now we have two universal claims and we cannot decide
wich one is true : so the is multiplicity... and so on. Foucault
ontological strategy is to win by losing, of by making the game of universal
thruth bug into an infernal loop. I believe Foucault point of view is in
this way close to Peirce's pragmaticism, an author he claims having read
before writing the Archeology, somewhere in Dits et Écrits.

As for the apport of computer sciences, well, I totally agree. It is
completely redrawing the way we understand human interaction and
discourse... but remember that in may 68, the reference in ''savoir'' was
not a freedom of information like the www, but the strongly structured
academical society.

And everyone's an amateur ;-)

Regards,

Jean-François Mongrain