Re: [Foucault-L] Governmentality and World-Systems Analysis

If you have not already you would do well to have a
look at 'Society must be defended'.

My focus would concentrate upon the 'liberty of
conscience' (but I would have to mention the
ontological basis such a history of the present
discovers its methodological grounding)- i.e.,
historically speaking the liberty of conscience
movement abolished the crime of heresy on the one hand
but it made moral insanity possible on the other.
Foucaults chapter on the birth of the asylum in his
madness and civilization is a good distillation of
such a history, providing, that is, we are prepared to
see the whole world as an asylum (only then will we
see how the de-institutionalization movement was
possible: the doors of the asylum could only be shut
once it had been turned inside out).

"Fate courts the willing with a felicitious grace and
drags the unwilling with a backward step- submit your
sails to the winds! Follow the ringing in your bones."