Re: [Foucault-L] Jean-Luc Godard's and Foucault and Film

Thankyou kindly Fouad. The chapter on 'thought and
cinema' in Deluzes study sounds like something I will
enjoy entertaining as a welcomed guest in my house to
share the hearth at its heart, as does the Dziga
Vertov Group's 'Ice et Allieurs'- i will draw upon
them like a strong draught.

Of all of Godards films, the one that seems to me to
carry these themes (i.e., the relation between image
and sound elaborated in terms of power, control, and
production of reality [if not subjectivity]) the
furthest and offer up the most fullest expression of
them, is by far and away '2 ou 3 choses que je sais
d'elle' (1967).

Another film I would admonish those following this
conversation to see would be Alejandro jodorowsky's
'The Holy Mountain' (1973): which follows a pilgram on
his spiritual journey to shed the cross of christ he
bears. When the floor is yours you should delight in
entertaining your audience- therefore, I dont think
its out of place here to admonish those same ears
attending us to suffer themselves to go and see
Tarkovsky's 'Andrei rublev' and 'Solaris' (upon first
viewing these films I lamented the fact that I was not
admonished to see them earlier): the first is a period
setting based medieval Europe and is most remarkable
for the way in which it embeds its figures in its
landscapes, and the second is a science fiction film
set on a space station and is most remarkable for the
way in which it casts its figures into an alien
landscape- the last scene from the space station on
solaris is of a pot-plant whose alientation from earth
is felt by the human inhabitants there. A kind of
light is cast by the drastic contrast of these two
films. These things are a fable.

Poetry is not merely decorative, much more is it
formative.