Re: [Foucault-L] The Panoptical society: Microsoft plans to monitor groups activities

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 07:45:29PM -0800, Thomas Lord wrote:
> Andrew Cady wrote:
>
> > (If you haven't encountered "population" in Foucault, "The Birth of
> > Social Medicine," IIRC, serves exactly to introduce it.)
>
> Is that the only source? I know I've read about it but I don't
> remember reading that. Whatever (again: "amateur" -- weak on the
> scholarship part).

No, it isn't. It's mentioned (really without adequate explanation)
in History of Sexuality vol 1., and given the subject matter, I would
guess it would be all over the other volumes--but I haven't read them.
The lecture on 'governmentality' opens, "In a previous lecture on
'apparatuses of security,' I tried to explain the emergence of a set
of problems specific to the issue of population..." I don't know if
that lecture has been published, but maybe so (the course was titled,
"Security, Territory, and Population"; the footnote says "see summary in
Essential Works, vol. 1, pp 67-71"). Later on there is some discussion
of the 'problem of population,' the 'emergence of population,' etc., but
of course he must be taking for granted that previous lecture. (Still,
it seems self-contained to me.) The relevant section begins with a
paragraph beginning, "It was through the development of the science of
government that the notion of economy ..." (Essential Works, vol. 3,
p. 215).

That is surely not it--in fact I have a feeling I have seen it in a
number of other places--but that's all I've got for you!