Re: [Foucault-L] philosophy and history

Kevin,

"a subject without history" would seem to be the opposite of how you remembered it, i.e., "history without a subject" (e.g., Althusser). The quote would seem to be a comment on the difference between the Annales school's approach (which was presumably predominant at that time in France) and the predominant philosophical approach, which assumes a transcendental subject of knowledge, centre of actions, etc etc. Presumably the comment was prefatory to an attempt on Foucault's part to give a properly historical account of the "subject" and its effects. Anyway if anyone wants to comment further on this passage maybe they can clarify things.

DM