Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 12:35 AM
Subject: Re: [Foucault-L] Governmentality -Take 2 (ignore the previouse-mail)

Hi Scott,

as far as I can see, the term Governmentality carries a central
ambiguity which is expressed also in your questions.
I would claim that Governmentality is used (1) as a term to describe a
certain analytical perspective and (2) as a hint on the content of the
contemporary rationality of governing.

So what you describe in your email is the analytical perspective the
notion of governmentality is opening up. Concretely that is the
question of 'How we are governed?' in a very broad sense at a certain
time in a certain society. That is the first aspect the term
governmentality is used for.

"The twin pillars of governmentality" as you call them belong to the
second meaning that is if the analytical perspective of
governmentality is applied to the contemporary societies. The
"governmentality of our present" indeed consists of technologies of
individual guidance as well as of technologies of population control.

So regarding your questions it is not only possible but quite
promising to follow the research perspective the notion of
governmenality opens up. This allows for example the drawing together
of all the many different ways power is exercised in a certain society
and it enables to see patterns and interactions between these
technologies.
To cite Rose et al.:
"What remains salient and challenging about this approach is its
insistence that to understand how we are governed in the present,
individually and collectively, in our homes, workplaces, schools, and
hospitals, in our towns, regions, and nations, and by our national and
transnational governing bodies requires us to turn away from grand
theory, the state, globalization, reflexive individualization, and the
like. Instead, we need to investigate the role of the gray sciences,
the minor professions, the accountants and insurers, the managers and
psychologists, in the mundane business of governing everyday economic
and social life, in the shaping of governable domains and governable
persons, in the new forms of power, authority, and subjectivity being
formed within these mundane practices. Every practice for the conduct
of conduct involves authorities, aspirations, programmatic thinking,
the invention or redeployment of techniques and technologies." (Rose,
Nikolas, P. O’Malley . M. Valverde (2006). Governmentality. Annual
Review of Law and Social Sciences, 2:83–104, 101)

But it would be misleading to use the very special pattern of t the
contemporary rationality of government (Biopower, Individualization
and totalization) as a general scheme of governing.

To put it short: Governmentality as a research perspective could be
applied in many different societies. The specific 'governmental' way
of governing, seems historically bound to advanced liberal societies.

correct me if you disagree (would be helpful for my understanding)

best regards
Henning