Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault/Wallerstein

Dear Bill,

You might be right that Hardt and Negri "butchered" Foucault's concept of
biopower in *Empire*, but it seems that their use of this concept is more of
an updating (maybe a 'creation') than a dismemberment--probably resulting
from a Deleuzian fidelity. And Negri seems to have clearly articulated
reasons, however unorthodox. (If you still think you're missing something,
cf. Cesare Casarino and Antonio Negri, "It's a Powerful Life", *Cultural
Critique* 57/2 (Spring 2004), 151-183; esp. pp. 165-6).

And, though they fall under the aegis of International Relations theory,
Mark Duffield and Julian Reid both have compelling arguments that centralize
Foucault in understandings of the world political system.

yours,
Garnet

--
Garnet Kindervater