[Foucault-L] FW: Foucault-L Digest, Vol 8, Issue 10

My understanding of Foucault's approach to governmentality is that he was pursuing a genealogy of western liberalism(s) and that the arts and disciplines of government pursued across hitorical periods illustrate the development, operations, and eventual circulations of sovereign power, pastoral power, disciplinary power, biopower. Ian Hacking's work on statistics illustrates how they came to serve as a technology for representing and understanding that social space of visibility deemed population.

Post-fordistic production techniques (assuming we can agree on what those are) are more specific to the logics and strategies of neoliberal governmentaly (I like Deleuze's essay on the new societies of control to describe those conditions often referred to as post-fordist).

I believe Foucault described the governmentalization of the state in relation to social-welfare logics/practices and therefore I think Scott is correct about the import of biopolitics to the development and dispersion of governmentality.

So, I also think that Scott is correct that governemnetal analysis can be applied to changing western arts and logics of government. I don't know about applying the framework to non-western cultures because Foucault's analysis was developed concretely and historically in relation to western European nations.

I have a book coming out in June (Routledge) titled, Governmentality, Biopower, and Everyday Life, which offers my take on governmentality as a genealogy of western liberalisms as applied to the market, the health and vitality of the population, government of the mind, and state sovereignty. I try to introduce and synthesize much of the governmentality scholarship in this book but also frame governmentality more critically than often found in the British governmentality scholarship.

As an American horrified by the resurgence of a nationalized "racialized" sovereignty (thought in terms of American cultural exceptionalism), I felt obliged to conclude my project by returning to the sovereign capacity to kill (Foucault in contrast saw sovereignty much more tied to the capacity to let live in the modern era).

Majia Nadesan

>Hi everyone,
>
>I am looking at Foucault's work on Governmentality this semester. My
>reading of his Governmentality lecture and other references within
>his 1978 lecture series "Security, Territory & Population" is that
>this analytic can be applied even when the prevailing political
>rationality changes, the state as a technology of government and its
>constituent elements (e.g., organising mechanisms,mix of private &
>public) changes, or indeed the technologies and practices of
>government change. In other words, because Governmentality's key
>features are the governance of individual conduct and management of
>population bio-issues(births, deaths, health etc), the ends continue
>to be the concern of government even when the means of achieving
>these ends (e.g., GDP growth) changes. In this sense, I am
>responding to a recent claim that Foucault was "the great theorist
>of Fordist Discipline"and is at risk of becoming depasse, by
>arguing among others things both that:(1) his Governmentality analytic!
> can accomodate epochal shifts from Fordism to Post-Fordism
> provided that the focus of government remains both the governance
> of individual conduct and the management of populations life issues
> (biopolitical concerns if you will); and (2) the Disciplinary
> society still exists.
>
>I am curious to know if anyone disagrees with this construal of the
>relevance of Governmentality?
>
>Any and all responses are welcome
>
>Scott Nicholas

Prof. Machiel Karskens
social and political philosophy
Faculty of Philosophy
Radboud University Nijmegen - The Netherlands

Message: 2