Re: [Foucault-L] FW: Foucault-L Digest, Vol 8, Issue 10

Hi all. I am Isaac Tibasiima. I am am MA student of Literature at Makerere
University in Kampala Uganda. My research is on the use of Foucault's ideas
on power and sovereignty in the analysis of an oral literature genre. For
the start I have hypothesised that praise poetry which is the oral
literature genre is a show of power relations among the ethnic group of
people in Uganda that I am dealing with. An understanding of Foucault and
how he develops his concept of the subject and the king or even among peers
develops a complex relationship of power among the groups of people. What I
would like to know is how probably I can incorporate especially Foucault's
idea of the relationshi further and even question the views he presents
basing on the society I'm dealing with. It should be noted that the language
of praise poetry creates very unstable relationships and ideas about who is
in power and who is not, which relationship I would see as purely Post
Structuralist. Any help or divergence from this view is highly welcome. I
also think scholars on oral literature and power in oral literature have a
lot they can pick from Foucault and other theorists on power, truth and the
self.

Isaac Kiiza Tibasiima
MA (Literature) canidate
Makerere University